Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 32: 333 days left…92 books to go!

Exodus 30:11-33
  • Interesting verse about atonement money that made me think of our current H1N1 crisis...."When you take a census of the Israelites to count them, each one must pay the Lord a ransom for his life at the time he is counted.  Then no plague will come on them when you number them..."  Chapter 30, Verse 12  Is our world fighting off plagues & disease right now because of our sin?  Is it our sin as a whole, or the sin of each individual?  Daunting thought....I don't generally believe that God causes these things to happen but that He sometimes allows them to....the latter is more comforting...
  • Then this reading gets into the Sabbath...which has be perpetually puzzled...wondering how closely to the Old Testament we should be observing the Sabbath in present day...it's clear from a verse I recently read in Matthew (Chapter 19:16-20) that God still expects us to honor the 10 Commandments, which include, "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy..." Exodus 20:8  But since we are no longer bound to the old law, what are God's expectations of our adherence to this commandment?  This chapter says of the Sabbath, "This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.  Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you...The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant.  It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever."  Chapter 31, Verses 13, 14, 16 &17  The terms "lasting covenant" and "forever" sound to me as meaning this practice is to be continuing today.  
    • It might be easy for my household to practice this as a family as my husband already isn't required to work Sundays and I could likely choose not to...however, there are many who have professions that require work on Sundays (medical personnel, police services, etc.)  who would have a hard time accomplishing this today...
  • In Chapter 32, after the Israelites rebel against God and make themselves idols out of gold, Moses stands at the entrance of the camp and says, "Whoever is for the Lord, come to me."  Verse 26  For some reason, I have always envisioned a scenario such as that happening to me in my lifetime, where I will literally be asked, before a group of people, to choose to stand for God or for man...I'm sure I have dozens of instances day-to-day that ask me to do the same but I don't recognize them...however, it would be amazing to truly be in that position one day....probably frightening as well...
  • I love in chapter 33, how it talks about Moses speaking to God face to face as he would a friend...the way God revealed Himself to Mack in "The Shack"....Verse 11
  • Moses says to God, "If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you."  Verse 14
Matthew 25:31-26:30
  •    "Come, you who are blessed by my Father:  take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink.  I was a stranger and you invited me in.  I needed clothes and you clothes me.  I was sick and you looked after me.  I was in prison and you came to visit me...I tell you the truth, whatever you do for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you do for me."  Chapter 25, Verses 34-36, 40  What I want said of me at the end of my life....on judgement day.....more is required of me throughout my days in this accord....

No comments:

Post a Comment