Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 43: 322 days left…88 books to go! The One with the "To Kill A Mockingbird" Review

To Kill A Mockingbird  by Harper Lee





  I enjoyed this novel...however, it didn't blow me away as I thought a Pullitzer Prize winning novel would...I can't see myself yearning to read it again....but here are the highlights for me:
  • "Lawyers, I suppose, were children once."  Charles Lamb
  • "Thus we came to know Dill as a pocket Merlin, whose head teemed with eccentric plans, strange longings, and quaint fancies."
  • "I would be starting a school in a week.  I never looked forward more to anything in my life."
  • "Miss Caroline told me to tell my father not to teach me any more, it would interfere with my reading."
  • "Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read.  One does not love breathing."
  • "Atticus don't ever do anything to Jem and me in the house that he don't do in the yard," I said, feeling it my duty to defend my parent."
  • "...it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.  Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy...they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us.  That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
  • "I had received the impression that Fine Folks were people who did the best they could with the sense they had, but Aunt Alexandra was of the opinion, obliquely expressed, that the longer a family had been squatting on one patch of land the finer it was."

No comments:

Post a Comment