Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Charlotte's Web!


Charlotte's Web!  by E.B. White
  • Such a cute read!  I can't wait to read it aloud to my baby!  There were several things that I'd forgotten about the original tale....such as the fact that Fern can hear the animals talk....that was a pleasant surprise!  Jumping right into my favorite quotes & story-points:
    • On killing Wilbur:  "If I had been very small at birth, would you have killed me?"
      • "This is the most terrible case of injustice I have ever heard of."
      • On Fern receiving Wilbur as her own pet & Avery being jealous..."I only distribute pigs to early risers, Fern was up at daylight, trying to rid the world of injustice." 
    • On Mr. Zuckerman's barn "It often had a sort of peaceful smell- as though nothing bad could happen ever again in the world."
    • "The world is a wonderful place when you're young."  Chapter- Escape
      • On Wilbur escaping & then being put back in the barnyard:  "It was good to be home again."
    • Wilbur's very busy schedule:  "From eleven to twelve he planned to stand still and watch flies on the boads, watch bees in teh clover, and watch swallows in the air...From two to three, he planned to scratch itchy places by rubbing against the fence.  From three to four, he planned to stand perfectly still and think of what it was like to be alive, and to wait for Fern."
    • Upon first hearing Charlotte's voice:  "You can imagine Wilbur's surprise when, out of the darkness, came a small voice he had never heard before.  It sounded rather thin, but pleasant.  'Do you want a friend, Wilbur?' it said.  'I'll be a friend to you.  I've watched you all day and I like you.'"  Chapter- Loneliness
      • The first word that Charlotte spoke to Wilbur the next day:  "Salutations!"
      • "Wilbur was merely suffering the doubts & fears that often go with finding a new friend."
    • "All these sounds made him feel comfortable and happy, for he loved life and loved to be a part of the world on a summer evening."  Chapter- Wilbur's Boast
    • "Children almost always hang onto things tighter than their parents think they will."  Chapter- An Explosion
    • On Charlotte's writings in the web:  "On foggy mornings, Charlotte's web was truly a thing of beauty."
      • First words she wrote in the web:  "Some Pig!"
      • "All said they had never seen such a pig before in their lives."
      • The pastor about Wilbur:  "He said that the words on the spider's web proved that human beings must always be on the watch for the coming of wonders."
    • "People believe almost anything they see in print."  Chapter- A Meeting
    • 2nd Word Charlotte wrote on her web about Wilbur:  "Terrific!"
    • "There isn't a pig in the whole state that is as terrific as our pig."
    • On Fern claiming she can hear the animals talk:  "Perhaps if people talked less, animals would talk more."  Chapter- Dr. Dorian
    • 3rd Word Charlotte wrote on her web about Wilbur:  "Radiant."
    • Charlotte, on the creation of her egg sac:  "I will show you my masterpiece."
    •  4th Word Charlotte wrote on her web about Wilbur:  "Humble."
    • On Wilbur & Charlotte's Victory:  "In the last analysis, we simply know that we are dealing with supernatural forces here, and we should all feel proud and grateful."
      • "I have the honor of awarding a special prize of twenty-five dollars to Mr. Zuckerman, together with a handsome bronze medal suitably engraved, in token of our appreciation of the part played by this pig- this radiant, this terrific, this humble pig."
      • "This was the greatest moment in Mr. Zuckerman's life.  It is deeply satisfying to win a prize in front of a lot of people."
    • Wilbur to Charlotte about how she saved his life:  "Why did you do all this for me?...I don't deserve it.  I've never done anything for you."
      • "I wove my webs for you because I liked you.  After all, what's a life, anyway?  We're born, we live a little while, we die...By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle.  Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that."
      • "But you have saved me, Charlotte, and I would gladly give my life for you- I really would."
    • Wilbur's welcome to her children who chose to stay in the barn:  "Welcome to the barn cellar.  You have chosen a hallowed doorway from which to string your webs.  I think it is only fair to tell you that I was devoted to your mother.  I owe my very life to her.  She was brilliant, beautiful and loyal to the end.  I shall always treasure her memory.  To you, her daughters, my friendship, forever and ever."
  • "It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer.  Charlotte was both."  My favorite quote in the whole book & the last line of the story!  

No comments:

Post a Comment