Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 18: 347 days left…96 books to go! (The One with the "Gone with the Wind" Review!)

Day 16:  349 days left...96 books still to read....



  I just realized that at this point, it has taken me an average of 4.2 days to read each selection....which is a little more than I was hoping for...need to get cracking down & already I've had reactions from my roommates that all I do is read....ahh!  "Gone With the Wind" is the longest book I've read in this challenge so far, and it did take me a good 5 1/2 days to finish....but it was worth it!  Here is what I have no doubt will be a very long breakdown of my favorite passages!
  • Part One, Chapter 1 starts right off by telling us about Scarlett O'Hara that, "...her true self was poorly concealed."  Beneath the seemingly well-manicured, well-bred exterior...
  • I love the quote on page 6, "They had the vigor and alertness of country people who have spent all their lives in the open and troubled their heads very little with dull things in books."  Ha, ha!  Not kindred spirits with me, I suppose....not that I speak as someone who is well-read.....but I love troubling myself with books!
    • Alright...I just brought myself to the reality that I have highlighted quotes on almost every of the 1024 pages of this book so expanding on all of them would take HOURS!!!  For much better time efficiency, I'm going to quote just a few more & assume you all understand how much I enjoyed this book!  
  •  Mostly....this novel is an account of the life of Scarlett O'Hara....but the title refers to the loss of the Southern way-of-life where landowners grew rich from slave-labour & archaic customs....but customs the South cherished nonetheless and mourned the loss of greatly.  It's a richly written novel with hundreds of notable passages that I will surely read again in my lifetime, inspite of the volume of the novel....Here are just a few more quotes that I can't help but share with you...
      • "I wish to Heaven I was married...I'm tired of everlastingly being unnatural and never doing anything I want to do.  I'm tired of acting like I don't eat more than a bird, and walking when I want to run and saying I feel faint after a waltz, when I could dance for two days and never get tired.  I'm tired of saying, 'How wonderful you are!' to fool men who haven't got one-half the sense I've got, and I'm tired of pretending I don't know anything, so men can tell me things and feel important while they're doing it..."  Chapter 5  So glad women don't subject themselves to that any longer.....
      •  "Always providing you have enough courage- or money- you can do without a reputation."  Part II, Chapter IX  Oh Scarlett!!!!
      •  This next quote could be applied by many to our present circumstances of war, I'm afraid:  "All wars are scared.  To those who have to fight them.  If the people who started wars didn't make them sacred, who would be foolish enough to fight?  But, no matter what rallying cries the orators give to the idiots who fight, no matter what noble purposes they assign to wars, there is never but one reason for a war.  And that is money."  says Rhett Butler
      • One of what I believe to be 2 of the most famous quotes from this movie is the following declaration made by Scarlett:  "As God is my witness, as God is my witness, the Yankees aren't going to lick me, I'm going to live through this and when it's over, I'm never going to be hungry again.  No, nor any of my folks.  If I have to steal or kill- as God is my witness, I'm never going to be hungry again."  Part Three Chapter 25
      • And of course, my final note will be the most famous quote from this novel, the classic words of Rhett Butler, "My dear, I don't give a damn."  Part Five  Chapter 63  (Last Chapter)
  All in all, a great read & one I highly recommend...just be sure you have the time set aside to devote to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment