Friday, October 23, 2009

Day 21: 344 days left…95 books to go! The One with the "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" review!!!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies  by Seth Grahame-Smith


  • I enjoyed this book!  It was very entertaining!  Absolutely, all of the brilliance in the writing was Austen's and this piece of work does not come nearly as close to my heart as the original...but I'm glad to have read this adaptation nonetheless!  Here are some of my favorite exerpts!
    • "The business of Mr. Bennet's life was to keep his daughters alive.  The business of Mrs. Bennet's was to get them married."  Chapter 1, page 9
    • Upon hearing Mr. Darcy's original comment of, "She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me; I am in no humor at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men."  Elizabeth Bennet surmises..."The warrior code demanded she avenge her honor."  Chapter 3, page 13  Ha, ha!  A great reaction to his arrogant snub!  This scene was immediately followed by an attack of zombies which the girls fought bravely!

    • "...and I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine.  I dare say I would've cut this throat had not the unmentionables distracted me from doing so."  Chapter 5, page 19
    • "Remember, Charlotte- she is a warrior first and a woman second."  Chapter 6, page 20

    • "Darcy had never been so bewitched by any woman as he was by her.  He really believed, that were it not for the inferiority of her connections, he should be in some danger of falling in love, and were it not for his considerable skill in the deadly arts, that he should be in danger of being bested by hers- for he had never seen a lady more gifted in the ways of vanquishing the undead."  Chapter 10, page 42
    • What Mrs. Bennet says about poor Charlotte Lucas..."...since she is an unmarried woman of seven-and-twenty, as as such should expect little more than a crust of bread washed down with a cup of loneliness."  Ha!  My single friends in their mid-late 20's would LOVE that sentiment!  
    • Of some unmentionables they pass on the road, "Let them burn...Let them have a taste of eternity.  You see, Mr. Collins...God has no mercy.  And neither must we."  Chapter 15, page 58  What a violent Elizabeth Bennet we have in this adaptation!
    •  Elizabeth hates Miss Bingley in the original work, but check out what she says in this one, "There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well.  The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every zombie confirms my belief that God has abandoned us as punishment for the evils of people such as Miss Bingley."  Chapter 24, page 103  Them's fighting words Miss Bennet!!!
    • "I believe the Crown more pleased to have me on the front lines than at the altar."  Chapter 26, page 115
    • "...but the presence of a woman who had slain ninety dreadfuls with nothing more than a rain-soaked envelope was an intimidating prospect indeed."  Chapter 29, page 124
    • Undoubtedly my favorite liberty that Seth takes in the whole book is this..."Elizabeth presently drew her Katana and cut off Lydia's head, which fell into the open hatbox."  Chapter 39, page 176  I laughed out loud at this...only to read on that Elizabeth simly day-dreamed she'd taken care of the prattling Lydia this way....Ha, ha!!!  What a riot!
    • "On the contrary, there is something pleasing about his mouth when he speaks.  And there is something of dignity in the way his trousers cling to those most English part of him"  Chapter 43, page 206  Jane Austen would NEVER have added that 2nd statement!  Ha, ha!
    • "...as we are each commanded by His Majesty to defend Hertfordshire from all enemies until such time as we ar dead, rendered lame, or married."  Chapter 47, page 226
    • "It taught me to hope, as I had scarcely ever allowed myself to hope before.  I knew enough of your disposition to be certain that, had you been absolutely, irrevocably decided against me, you would have beheaded Lady Catharine without a moment's hesitation."  Chapter 58, page 299

    • And the very final chapter of this book...."England remained in the shadow of Satan.  The dead continued to claw their way through crypt and coffin alike, feasting on British brains.  Victories were celebrated, defeats lamented.  Adn the sisters Bennet-servants of His Majesty, protectors of Hertforshire, beholders of the secrets of Shaolin, and brides of death- were now, three of them, brides of man, their swords quieted by that only force more powerful than any warrior.  THE END"  Chapter 61, page 317 

No comments:

Post a Comment